Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Carnival Series ~ Chapter V: The people, the life and what I learned


I have never felt more like part of a family at my place of employment than working for the Reithoffer show.  Even as just a vendor, renting space with the show, they care about you, they treat you as one of their own.  People are helpful, making sure you have a hot meal to eat, a place to get a shower and know the tricks of the trade.  You will be the butt of a few jokes from time to time, but all joking aside, they look out for their own.  I met some real people while I traveled up and down the coast.  I met earthy folks taking a spin with the show while traveling between Rainbow gatherings, I met people running from their pasts with lots of interesting stories, I met some folks who enjoyed the party life and knew where to get whatever you wanted at nearly every location. I met people like myself, just having a good time, getting the experience of a lifetime.  Some people are meant for the road, like being free and not tied to any earthly possessions.  Some have no where else to turn.  Some do it because they were born into it.  Some do it because there is a lot of money to be made. 

For me, it was a great time, I met lots of interesting people, I got to ride all the rides to my hearts content, without paying a dime.  I ate all the cotton candy, popcorn, corn dogs, candy apples to keep me full for the rest of my life.  I was able to travel down the east coast and see parts of the country I might not have seen otherwise.  I had the experience of living without strings attached or responsibility, I was able to just be me and have a good time.  It was lots of hard work, everyday, and at times a struggle, but I don't regret it.  And now I embrace it as part of what shaped who I am today.   Next time you go to the fair, remember that carnie you are making fun of or passing judgement on, remember they are just like you and I.  Human.  If it wasn't for them, you wouldn't be walking down that midway, enjoying the food, riding rides, enjoying the scene.

Would I ever go back on the road again with the show in the future?  No.  I like my home in one place, friends and family close by.  Would I do it over again if I could go back and change that part of my life?  Absolutely, I would have chosen to do it again.  How many of you can say you held a baby tiger?  Rode rides every day for eight months out of a year?  Held hundreds of dollars in your hands every day?  I got to play games nearly every day, talk to new people every day and travel down the coast.  More importantly, I realized what was important in life to me - family, roots, home, friends.

Read about the beginning of my travels:
Chapter I: How it all started.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

365 days of drawing Addyson Aegirine Aldies Review Alice all purpose cleaner Alta View Wellness Center Angel Numbers Angie Yingst Animal Symbolism Apartment life Arborday.org Are You Experienced art Art reading Aura Photo Aura Photography Backcombing Bacon recipe Bacon wrapped chicken Balloonport Beach Life Beach Life Series Because I hate Abbreviations Best Bone-in Chicken recipes Beverly Stephan Bissell Proheat Carpet Cleaner Blessingway Bone-in Chicken Borax recipes Brussel Sprouts Camp Innabah Candy Drawer Carnies Carnival Series Carpet shampooer Catering Chakra Photo Chakra Photography chicken recipe christmas cookie recipe Christmas craze Christmas Shoe box clairvoyant Cleaning Recipes Collective Consciousness colored pencil Conner Cookie recipe Coupons crafts with toilet paper roll Cremation Ashes cremation glass memorial bead Crew Crystal grids Crystal Healing Crystal Therapy Crystal uses Crystals and Minerals Darn it. Dear Departed Drawings Departed Dinner Recipe DIY Down to Earth Wear drawing drawing of a bulb syringe drawing of a snot sucker Drawing of a zombie drawing of an astronaut Drawing of feet drawing of genesee beer drawing of ghastly beer Drawing of Jimi Hendrix Dread bead Dreadie decorations Dreadies Dreadlock Methods Dreadlocks Dreads Dream Catcher Dustin Middaugh Eggleston Hall Engroff Epicurean Delight Evolution of a Drawing Video Family Family Vacation Feeding your family on a budget Feel the wind on your face Fels naptha recipes floor cleaner Food Coma Friend Frugal Shopping Gardening Glass Blowing glass dread bead grandma's cookie recipe Grandpa graphite drawings Hair Handmade Hape twist and turnables Hardiness zones map Harpers Ferry Healer Healing Herman Heroin Robbed Me HK Pinwheel Packs Holiday shopping holiday shuffle home home for the holidays home school Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution Homemade frenzy Homemade powdered laundry detergent Homeschool Preschool hot air balloon chase crew Hot Air Ballooning Houd House Faery Thefts Humanitarianism Hyperrealism Insecurities Jack Daniels Distillery Tour Joel kids crafts Kings Fresh Meats Review Kole Kombucha Lancaster balloonport last minute Christmas shopping LeDrew crew Leigh Leigh D Baxter Life Life Purpose lithium quartz Little light Living with Strangers Lost shiny trinkets Love Lucia Married life Maryland Meditation Mineral Uses Monster Paintball MOPS Mothers of Preschoolers Moving Moving to a new house Mr. Kromer MUM Expo My Crystals and Minerals Mystic Native American Rituals Natural Healer Neil New house New Moon Circle new year resolution new years resolution Nines Numerology Obsessive Compulsive Disorder OCD Ocean Beach Spirit Cleansing Ceremony Ocean City Ocean City Maryland On the Road Again One Love Operation Christmas Child Pacific Northwest Glassblowing Packing Packing up your house for a move paint Parenthood Pencil Drawings Pennsylvania Dutch Pot Pie Pennsylvania Dutch Sand tarts photo realism Planting zones map Poppa. portrait drawing Portrait of Cosmo Portrait of Dustin Middaugh Portrait of Houd Portrait of Leigh D Baxter Prettying up Dreadies Reithoffer Show Renting Rides Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprout Recipe Samaritans Purse Sevens Sideshows Smaller Dreads spiritual awakening spiritual experience Stick a screw driver in my eye Still Life with Circles Still Playing School Still. Summer fun Super washing soda recipes Survivor Mama Susquehanna Valley Balloon Company Sweet Pea Project Sweet Pea Sisters and Brothers Picnic Tarot Card Reading Tea tree essential oil Tennessee The Beach The Moon + Stone Healing The Pier The Walking Dead Things to do in Nashville Thinner Dreadlocks tissue paper hearts To Linger on Hot Coals Traveling Twist and Rip Twizzlers U-Haul uses for vinegar Valentines day craft Violet Wax Hands wax museums Wedding West Virginia WV year in review Your Inner Light