Thursday, February 27, 2014

365 days of drawing ~ day fifty-eight ~ Trees and Tents with Leigh


The last pencil stroke has been made.  I am so glad to share with you this portrait.  The abundance of love and pure joy radiates from this photo of two beautiful souls.  This marks the beginning of more portraits on the way that you can read about here .  When I repeatedly witnessed the love and light my friend Angela holds for her sister Leigh, I was touched.  Touched because I have a brother and we are not close as I would like.  But I know just how much pain, anguish and sorrow I would feel if he passed before his time.  So that led me to begin this portrait that started on day seven that you can read about here.  It was an amazing trip filled with so much healing, love, light, sadness, remembrance, friendship, and resulted in a masterpiece.  

I wanted Angela to have the last word and tell you about her sister.....


A simple click of a camera on a sunny day captured a fun moment at the park. Springettsbury Park in York, PA. I took many pictures that day, but the significance of this certain picture would not really show itself for a couple years. I thought there would be tons more to come, just like this one. I did not know at the time, that this would be it, and I am beyond grateful to have this memory forever caught on film. And now, this memory has been caught through the eyes of a true friend, and talented artist.

The embrace shared in this picture is between my sister Leigh, and my then two year old daughter, Kaya. My daughter is now a happy, healthy six year old. Leigh is forever 28, having received wings on April 27th, 2012. After a long battle with addiction, my sister lost the fight, and is now an angel watching over us. Kaya will never see her Aunt Leigh again, never hug her, never play with her at the playground on a sunny day. But, we do have this picture, forever.

My sister was a loving, caring, spunky girl. She was smart, and fun, and she had the most contagious laugh you ever heard. This is the way I choose to remember her, and this is the way I wish Kaya to remember her. Leigh had an extremely caring and wonderful boyfriend named Ryan. Ryan took such good care of my sister and I know they loved each other very much. I am grateful to Ryan for all that he did for my sister, and all the love he showed her through the years. I am blessed to have Ryan still a part of my life. Leigh also had a loving Uncle Mike who supported and loved her. She had two brothers, and was even lucky enough to have 2 mothers who loved and cared for her. Our mother passed away this past November, and her father, who loved her very much, passed away two years ago. His funeral service was the last time I saw my sister. Of course Leigh had many family members and many friends who loved her. She always wore a smile, and was always ready to give life all she had. Unfortunately I have discovered, love is not enough when you are dealing with an addict. I wish it had been. All the love in the world was not enough to save my sister.

The first time my sister lived with me was so cool. Having a sister to talk to all the time and go shopping with and be silly with....... She worked at Red Lobster and she would call before she came home to see if I wanted any coconut shrimp, which was always a YES! We would sit at the table in the kitchen drinking Twisted Teas and getting a little loud and rowdy, but all in good fun! And when she decided to chop off her long hair, I went with her. (She was always the brave one. lol) She looked absolutely beautiful after the cut. She was always spontaneous. Where I was the thinker and worrier, she was the 'lets just do it now' kind of person. To me, she seemed so confident and so sure of herself, and never cared what anyone thought. She was a free spirit. She once called me from the car to leave me a voicemail message: wanted me to know that while listening to Rusted Root in the car she thought of me, and she loved me. Wish I still had that message.

Leigh was active in her addiction when Kaya was born. It was not until Kaya was two, that Leigh had been clean and in recovery for awhile, that she was able to meet her.  When Leigh would pull in the driveway, Kaya would shout "Aunt E! Aunt E!" My sister had a way of drawing people towards her, no matter the age. She loved her niece with all her heart. Shortly after, Leigh ended up moving in with us, and my husband and I tried to keep her sober and on the right path towards a bright future. After about a month, my sister fell into her old habits, and I was forced to ask her to leave out of safety concerns for my daughter. That was one of the hardest decisions to make, and one that will forever riddle me with guilt. Heroin made me choose. It made me choose between my beautiful daughter, and my beautiful sister. Although I know when my sister was in the grips of heroin, she was not really the sister I knew, I had always kept hope that one day she would win her battle with addiction and I would have my sister back. Kaya would have her Aunt Leigh back. At this time, Kaya knows that Leigh was very sick, and that she is an angel watching over her. My heart breaks to know that one day I will have to explain to her why and how Leigh was sick. I am not however, ashamed. I am not ashamed of my sister, or her addiction. I was so uneducated and not aware of the support and proper tools to really help my sister and make a positive difference in her life. Since her death, I have tried to learn all I can, and I continue to learn more everyday.

Addiction, and Heroin does not discriminate.
Heroin knows nothing of age, sex, race.
Heroin has no geographic limitations.
Heroin is in your backyard. 

Not a day goes by that I don't miss my sister with all my heart. Every year in January, on her birthday, Ryan, and our family, get together to celebrate at TGIFridays, where Ryan orders her favorite Jack Daniels signature dish. We talk about present day, and share stories of my sister. It's such a bittersweet evening. We would each give anything to have her there at the table with us, laughing and joking around.

The thought of Kaya growing up within this epidemic of Heroin has me scared. It has me fighting scared. I may not have known enough while my sister was alive to save her, but I will not allow her death to be in vain. I am currently a part of several anti-heroin groups, including my own personal fb page: Heroin Robbed Me. I initially set up the page to raise money to purchase a park bench in her memory. With the help of my friend and graphic artist at work, I designed and sold one of a kind anti-heroin apparel to reach the monetary goal. My sisters bench was placed at Rocky Ridge Park in York, PA. I chose the exact spot where she had a peaceful view, and during the Holidays she is under hundreds of beautiful Christmas lights as a part of the annual Christmas Magic at Rocky Ridge Park. I try to visit with her on the 27th of every month, her angelversary. My husband and I have also been active in several anti-heroin rallies locally. I have met some wonderful people who not only love and support me, but encourage me and blaze trails to fight this epidemic. By trying to raise awareness, I try to honor my beautiful sister as well. I do this for her, and I do this for Kaya.



















One of my favorite memories of my sister was Thanksgiving many years ago. She had decided that WE were going to host Thanksgiving dinner. My extensive cooking skills really don't reach past toast or spaghetti, but she had her mind made up. We sent our invites and made our grocery lists, and my sister enlisted the help of Grandma Baxter for precise recipes. Grandma Baxter being the most amazing cook in the world, and her long distance help was truly priceless. (To this day, I make sweet potatoes every year for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, which receive rave reviews, courtesy of Grandma B's recipe given to us on that very day.) The cooking of the meal was well under way, the giant bird was in the oven, and we were happily proud of ourselves. Which was short lived. Upon the first check of our turkey, Leigh opened the oven to baste, and asked me for the turkey baster. It was only THEN, that we realized we did not own a turkey baster!! So, what do two clueless girls do?? We jump in the car and head to Wal Mart, the only place open at that time. I felt like a complete jerk for shopping on Thanksgiving! The cashier however, had a pretty good laugh at our Thanksgiving Day purchase. Pretty sure we laughed hysterically the whole way home. The meal ended up being delicious, and was hands down the best Thanksgiving ever!

Turning my attention back to this beautiful portrait. Since my sister passed, I have been through countless emotions. Good days, bad days, horrible days. I have had incredible support from friends, family, and strangers, and I have also been a part of some who choose to be not so understanding and not so supportive. The ones that have stuck by me through thick and thin will always have a place in my heart and I will be forever grateful for their compassion and care, and the lift they gave me when I was unable to lift myself. When you see this portrait, I want you to see the love. I want you to see the happiness. I want you to see a beautiful moment between two people that fill my heart. I want them to fill your heart too.

Words will never be enough to truly capture the thanks I have in my heart for the artist, Amanda Johnson. Through her kindness and generosity and amazing talent, she has given me such a bright light in my soul. Where some days the unnecessary drama and hurt caused by the death of my sister made me lose faith, this portrait instilled in me that there are truly beautiful people out there.  For all, I am blessed to know and appreciate true friendship.


"The Greatest Healing Therapy is Friendship and Love".
    Hubert H. Humphrey




Facebook support groups
Not One More Pittsburgh Chapter
Not One More
Substance Abuse and Family Counseling
Hope VS Heroin
Heroin Kills You
Lost to Heroin


















No comments:

Post a Comment

365 days of drawing Addyson Aegirine Aldies Review Alice all purpose cleaner Alta View Wellness Center Angel Numbers Angie Yingst Animal Symbolism Apartment life Arborday.org Are You Experienced art Art reading Aura Photo Aura Photography Backcombing Bacon recipe Bacon wrapped chicken Balloonport Beach Life Beach Life Series Because I hate Abbreviations Best Bone-in Chicken recipes Beverly Stephan Bissell Proheat Carpet Cleaner Blessingway Bone-in Chicken Borax recipes Brussel Sprouts Camp Innabah Candy Drawer Carnies Carnival Series Carpet shampooer Catering Chakra Photo Chakra Photography chicken recipe christmas cookie recipe Christmas craze Christmas Shoe box clairvoyant Cleaning Recipes Collective Consciousness colored pencil Conner Cookie recipe Coupons crafts with toilet paper roll Cremation Ashes cremation glass memorial bead Crew Crystal grids Crystal Healing Crystal Therapy Crystal uses Crystals and Minerals Darn it. Dear Departed Drawings Departed Dinner Recipe DIY Down to Earth Wear drawing drawing of a bulb syringe drawing of a snot sucker Drawing of a zombie drawing of an astronaut Drawing of feet drawing of genesee beer drawing of ghastly beer Drawing of Jimi Hendrix Dread bead Dreadie decorations Dreadies Dreadlock Methods Dreadlocks Dreads Dream Catcher Dustin Middaugh Eggleston Hall Engroff Epicurean Delight Evolution of a Drawing Video Family Family Vacation Feeding your family on a budget Feel the wind on your face Fels naptha recipes floor cleaner Food Coma Friend Frugal Shopping Gardening Glass Blowing glass dread bead grandma's cookie recipe Grandpa graphite drawings Hair Handmade Hape twist and turnables Hardiness zones map Harpers Ferry Healer Healing Herman Heroin Robbed Me HK Pinwheel Packs Holiday shopping holiday shuffle home home for the holidays home school Homemade Carpet Cleaner Solution Homemade frenzy Homemade powdered laundry detergent Homeschool Preschool hot air balloon chase crew Hot Air Ballooning Houd House Faery Thefts Humanitarianism Hyperrealism Insecurities Jack Daniels Distillery Tour Joel kids crafts Kings Fresh Meats Review Kole Kombucha Lancaster balloonport last minute Christmas shopping LeDrew crew Leigh Leigh D Baxter Life Life Purpose lithium quartz Little light Living with Strangers Lost shiny trinkets Love Lucia Married life Maryland Meditation Mineral Uses Monster Paintball MOPS Mothers of Preschoolers Moving Moving to a new house Mr. Kromer MUM Expo My Crystals and Minerals Mystic Native American Rituals Natural Healer Neil New house New Moon Circle new year resolution new years resolution Nines Numerology Obsessive Compulsive Disorder OCD Ocean Beach Spirit Cleansing Ceremony Ocean City Ocean City Maryland On the Road Again One Love Operation Christmas Child Pacific Northwest Glassblowing Packing Packing up your house for a move paint Parenthood Pencil Drawings Pennsylvania Dutch Pot Pie Pennsylvania Dutch Sand tarts photo realism Planting zones map Poppa. portrait drawing Portrait of Cosmo Portrait of Dustin Middaugh Portrait of Houd Portrait of Leigh D Baxter Prettying up Dreadies Reithoffer Show Renting Rides Roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprout Recipe Samaritans Purse Sevens Sideshows Smaller Dreads spiritual awakening spiritual experience Stick a screw driver in my eye Still Life with Circles Still Playing School Still. Summer fun Super washing soda recipes Survivor Mama Susquehanna Valley Balloon Company Sweet Pea Project Sweet Pea Sisters and Brothers Picnic Tarot Card Reading Tea tree essential oil Tennessee The Beach The Moon + Stone Healing The Pier The Walking Dead Things to do in Nashville Thinner Dreadlocks tissue paper hearts To Linger on Hot Coals Traveling Twist and Rip Twizzlers U-Haul uses for vinegar Valentines day craft Violet Wax Hands wax museums Wedding West Virginia WV year in review Your Inner Light